Thursday, February 5, 2009

My First Big Post With Tips on Makeup Application!! YAY!

Now I have been asked a few times to do actual tips and advice on a specific type of makeup. Like, my insider advice. Please forgive as this is my first try and I will add more later on as I think of more :-)



For my very first post on actual tips for makeup application I thought I would jump right in and tackle the product everyone asks about.....Foundation!

man7

We have all sat and wondered, "Which foundation is right for me?" Whether we are standing at a department store counter, in the drug store aisles or online searching beauty websites, foundations are a mystery and can be costly if you purchase the product and then discover it was not right for you! I am always asked the question, "Which foundations do I use personally or carry in my professional kit?" So, here are the answers and reviews.



CREME FOUNDATION: Tricia Sawyer Beauty makes the best creme foundation I have used - the formula blends smoothly and won't settle into any fine lines or wrinkles. Invented by celebrity makeup artist, Tricia Sawyer, this foundation consists of two colors (a warm and cool tone) which can be blended together to achieve your exact skin tone match. It also has buildable coverage, which means you can use as much or as little as you need to achieve your desired look. Basically after you put on the first layer if you need more you just spackle it on there and it builds coverage without looking grey and yucky. I do like Tricia Sawyer Beauty's Foundation Brush as will insure a great application however, if you tend to have very oily skin using a cosmetic sponge to apply this product may work better. Also, of course MAC makes great brushes and their Stipple brush is amazing for foundation. I dont know why people just started using this brush for foundation....it's so GENUIS!! It's called the 187 DUO Fibre Brush. I highly recommend it. I use this product both personally and professionally. This foundation can be purchased in a number of places including: www.triciasawyer.com, online at Sephora.com or from QVC.

p209806_lgm45r01



LIQUID FOUNDATION: Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation
What it is:
An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life.
What it does:
Creates a soft-focus effect, designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It creates a complexion that looks flawless, even in bright or harsh lighting. Let me just preface this by saying: THIS STUFF ROCKS!! I am totally gonna do a seperate blog just on this product - hopefully with videos or photos but until then, just trust me.

Founder Dany Sanz is a total perfectionist and only creates products that work. I keep this product handy for use on all of my clients who prefer a liquid foundation over a creme. And this is not only liquid its HD, High Definition! It's made for actors and people who are on HDTV. You can purchase Makeup Forever at any local Sephora.
p217905_heroI also like L'Oreal's True Match Foundation. This is for you if you are more on a drugstore budget and don't want to be stuck with drugstore quality. It comes in a rainbow of colors with warm, neutral, cool & depth undertones depending on your skin color. It glides smoothly on with a sheer coverage. Doesn't leave your skin feeling dry or oily. This product is carried at all the major drug stores such as CVS, Longs, Rite Aid and Walgreens and also available at Target, Walmart and some grocery stores.

100

POWDER FOUNDATION: MAC Cosmetics makes one of the best powder foundations available to consumers. It is called MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation. I keep the entire powder foundation line in my kit because I found that it performs well for film and television with incredible coverage and because men prefer this type of foundation over a heavy creme or liquid application. I also use it for contouring and for blush because of it's amazing pigmentation. Sold at MAC online, Sephora and other high-end retailers.

m510

I also love Nars Powder Foundation and use it on most of my friends and clients. Provides great coverage and comes in a variety of shades. This is also one that performs amazing on TV. Sold at Nars Online, Sephora, and other high end stores.

TINTED MOISTURIZERS: I love Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer (Oil Free)! It is a wonderful oil free, lightweight, buildable foundation that works with all skin types, especially those with sensitive, oily or acne prone skin. It controls dryness, prevents excessive oil buildup and provides sun protection with a built-in SPF 20. Great for teens! I use this product personally and professionally. Sold at Sephora and Nordstrom.

p140906_hero



MINERAL FOUNDATION: There are several products available to you if you prefer a more natural approach to your foundation. Bare Escentuals is the most popular of all the mineral brands and it does a great job in providing the skin with pure ingredients, free of preservatives, talc, oil, fragrance and other skin irritants. It also has a built-in SPF-15 and is a very fine, loose powder. I have used Bare Escentuals personally and enjoyed the feeling and somewhat liked the coverage, but really I didn't think it lived up to what they show on tv. Some people swear by it, but in my personal opinion it doesn't give me the coverage I want. Also, on a professional basis I can not use mineral product because of coverage needs when shooting film, television or print, as well as I have found that mineral makeup tends to have a reflective nature when used with flash photography.

p61003_hero

ETHNIC FOUNDATION: If you are a person who has darker skin and have a hard time finding a foundation that matches your skin tone, here are a few cosmetic companies that might have a product to meet your needs:



MAC Cosmetics - has many foundations in creme, powder and liquid form that should have a match for you.



Black Radiance is a drug store brand catering to African American women. This foundation comes in a creme foundation form (in a stick-type formula). It is lightweight and has an SPF 15. You can purchase Black Radiance at CVS, Walgreens and other retailers.

br_perfectblendcremefoundation_sm

Thevi Cosmetics is an online retailer representing consumers of the Asian, South Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, African and Mediterranean descent. They make an incredible liquid powder foundation with an SPF 15. This product is enriched with Vitamins E and C for anti-oxidant protection and Vitamin A for skin conditioning. You can purchase this product at www.thevicosmetics.com.

liquid_powder_mineral_foundation_spf_15

I carry the MAC Cosmetic brand in my professional kit and use it on all types of ethnicity's. I have found that in my line of work when I need a heavier type of coverage that this cosmetic line works the best however, I do know several women who swear by MAC for everyday use. (Including me)

A few more foundation lines that I enjoy and use professionally:



Dior, Cle de peau, Era Cosmetics, Prescriptives, Chanel, Visiora, Lorac (these are all in my professional kit).

As with all foundation, concealer or powder, make sure your skin is properly prepped with a good skin care regime and primer (Smashbox seems to be everyone's fav but it actually breaks my skin out...maybe bc of all the silicone in it) prior to applying coverage cosmetics.



TIP OF THE DAY: Creams on top of creams - powder on top of powder! In other words - if you are using a creme or liquid foundation make sure to set it with a translucent powder prior to applying any type of powder blush or shadow! If you are using a creme blush - use right after foundation or concealer and then powder to set!



Please yall remember that this blog is based on my professional and personal opinion and all product reviews are based on product performance I have either gotten from using the product personally or on my clients professionally. I hope I was able to help yall with some advice and help regarding foundation products and please let me know if you have tried another type of product I have not listed here. I am always on the look out for the next "best" foundation!.





---SouthernPrincess

1 comment:

  1. Great tips from a pro.

    I find that a great set of brushes makes a world of difference in makeup application.

    I use this set: http://www.salonhive.com/23-pc-black-handle-makeup-brush-set-w-pouch-ts-202.html

    They are so soft and there is literally a brush for everything. I also like how the pouch keeps everything clean and organized.

    ReplyDelete